Most of us do not really know when things have passed their normal lifespan, so we end up using it for longer than necessary which leads to problems later on. This goes from our toothbrushes to our furniture and so on. One item whose lifespan we tend to overestimate or forget entirely is our mattresses. A mattresses average lifespan goes from 8-10 years, and sometimes earlier depending on how you use it. So, if you happen to be using a mattress for a long time and don’t know if it has gone beyond its capacity, you can go check for a few obvious signs by reading them below.
- If your mattress is beginning to sag or rise from one specific area, then chances are you have used it too much, causing it to lose its ability to support your weight. If this problem persists even after flipping your mattress, you need to get it changed.
- If you wake up in the morning feeling stiff around your neck, shoulders and/or back even though your routine is still the same, then your mattress has gotten too old and needs to be replaced.
- If you happen to have a boxfoam or a spring mattress and you hear squeaking or creaking noises every time you sit, lie down or turn over in the mattress, it needs to get changed.
- If you find it more comfortable to sleep on other surfaces rather than your own bed, your mattress is clearly no longer doing its job.
- If your mattress has gotten too soft and is no longer supporting your back, you need to opt for a better one.
Keeping all of these signs in mind, you should go for a new mattress. You will find that a standard ikea king size mattress will be perfectly suitable for your needs.